Historical Route 1
(Monforte de Lemos)
•The Arrabal quarter
The Arrabalbelongs to the Jewish quarter situated at the "Calle do Burato"
Street, the old prision and "Fornos". Together with Ribadavia,
it formed one of the main Jewish Communities on Galician ground.
• The house of the Count of Lemos
Today, at the place of the house of the Count of Lemos there is a noble mansion of the 18th century.
The main door dating back to the XVI century might have been from the original house.
In 1672 the house of the Count of Lemos burnt down and a valuable collection of Tizianos,
Rafaels, El Grecos disappeared.
• Monastery of San Vicente do Pino
The Monastery of San Vicente do Pino has been belonging to the Benedictine Order since
the XI century.The church's façade is of renaissance style (XVI century) and the monastery
is of the XVII century showing a very classical line.
• College of Nuestra Señora de la Antigua
Built in the style of the architect Herrera, it was started in 1593 and finished by the
"Escolapios" after having sold the painting "Adoration of the Magi"
by Hugo de Van der Goes, Flamish painter of the XV century. At the museum can be seen two El Greco paintings
-"San Lorenzo" and "San Francisco" and five Andrea Sarto paintings.
Other points of interest: Convent of the
"Franciscanas descalzas", the old bridge and the Covent of San Jacinto.
Wine museum in Monforte de Lemos